new SlideShow.XmlConfigProvider Problem

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:29 AM
Ok, I've seen this same problem on a few other posts and nobody has posted an exact reason or solution for this. The SlideShow DOES NOT work once you add the 'new SlideShow.XmlConfigProvider" line into the inline script. If you take that piece of code out there is a black box that will appear where the slideshow should be. For troubleshooting and simplicity purposes I have put all of the files (silverlight.js, slideshow.js, configuration.xml, and data.xml) all in the same folder; so all the sources are correct in the code below. If anyone knows why this is happening please help me out. Thanks!

Note: the configuration.xml file is currently just what was outlined in the start-up guide on vertigo's site. I can't even get this working bare bones.

This is the code of the html file:
<html>
    <head>
        <title>SlideShow</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Silverlight.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="SlideShow.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            new SlideShow.Control(new SlideShow.XmlConfigProvider());
        </script>
    </body>
</html>

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:34 AM
I had exactly the same problem. I searched the website for documentation and somewhere found a reference that something along the lines that the "files" must be urls - ie that you needed to run the application on a web server, rather than just on a local file system.

I uploaded the scripts etc. to my wife's website and it works well! I've not tried running it locally with Apache, but I think that might work as well.

Does the above make sense?

It will be good when the full user guide is available as hopefully it will cover some of the showstoppers like the above.