"Minimal" setup and configuration

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM
Okay, I know I'm nowhere in the same web developing league as the average Slide.Show user, but Vertigo advertises this web application as something easy to implement. There are showcased examples of successful users who have setup the application in 30 minutes, but does this accurately represent what a person with a very elementary understanding of silverlight and xml might expect? I've worked at this thing for days now, and have thusfar been unsuccessful in achieving a suitable slideshow for my site.

Firstly, it seems as if the quickstart guide does not indicate the necessary files to upload. Following this guide verbatim results in a silver box, which is not anything like a slide show, and it indicates that the guide is certainly short of comprehensive. Secondly, after one figures out that uploading all of the downloaded files to their website allows the sample slide shows to work, changing the sample xml data file results in either errors or a complete malfunction of the application. Are there other files I must correct to compensate for changes I've made to the data file? This I can't determine because there's no documentation indicating so.

Slide.Show is impressive both in appearance and diversity of functionality. Successful implementation, however, is just short of impossible for those who are inexperienced, such as myself. I'd like help in correcting my problems, but I'm almost to the point where I no longer care. Is javascript an easier way to get Slide.Show to work? Thanks for any help you may give.
Jul 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2008 at 2:04 PM
I also had some trouble with the QuickStart guide, I think it's not very well structured and assumes non-obvious knowledge.

Step 1, for example, says "First, create a new page in your site..."

Woa! I think first thing to do is create a new folder, name it something sensible, copy the 2 javascript files from SlideShow1.1.zip in and then create a HTML file.

But such information is scattered amongst bullet points, Tip Windows and Steps... and can I also point out that no non-developer would understand what Slideshow.js is or where to get it from. There's no mention of the need to download the 'Release', or what's in it. It just assumes you've already downloaded it, you already know what's in it, and you're reading this document, to continue. That's not a QuickStart, it's a download, have a peek, understand what files are available and then read this-Start ;-)

I was going to critique the document in a discussion here, but then thought I might as well just edit the Word document with my suggestions and send it in.

I think there's a good chance of making the QuickStart half the size and twice as clear.

And I have to confess, bumenot, that I've spent the last hour trying to get it to work. I'm sure it's my fault, but this.control.data.album[...].slide is null or not an object, is the best I can do.