HOW TO - Set up the demos and get started

Developer
Jan 31, 2008 at 12:48 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Several people seem to be a having a little trouble.

Here's a step by step guide to get you started.

#1) Download the .zip http://www.codeplex.com/SlideShow/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=8862 and unzip it to C:\MySlideShow
Please note that this includes the VisualStudio solution and the source code so you can dive in deeper if you want.

#2) Create a IIS applicaiton. This step will vary a bit depending on whether you are using Windows XP, Vista, etc. The basic idea is go into IIS and set up a web application. Call the new application "MySlideShow". Point the root of the application to C:/MySlideShow/Slide.Show The important thing here is to point it to the folder that the web.config file is in.

#3) While in IIS, double check the default document for the application. This may be listed as "default.htm". Either change it or add "default.html" as an option as this is the file name in the samples.

#4) Set up the folder permissions. This step will also vary a bit depending on your operating system, but you need to set up the permissions on the physical directory to allow the user account that IIS impersonates to have access to the folder. For Vista, this is "Authenticated Users". Just right click on the MySlideShow folder and select Security. Click Add, find "Authenticated Users" and add this role with the default settings. XP may be a little different but the basic concept is the same.

#5) You should now have a functional website. To browse the samples, simply open a browser and point it to http://localhost/MySlideShow/samples/
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Also, please note that if you open the Slide.Show solution using Visual Studio 2005/2008, then it will set up the IIS site for you. You may need to enable the default document, however, depending on your existing configuration. Or you could just set the Samples/Default.html page as your startup page. That will work, too.
Feb 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM
when I attempt to open the sln in VS 2005 Pro, I get the following error:
The selected file is a solution file, but was created in a newer version of this application and cannot be opened.

Is there any way to use 2005 with this app?
Developer
Feb 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM
As far as I know, we only plan to support VS 2008, but I will ask about it. In the meantime, I know there are several tools for converting a VS 2008 project file back to VS 2005. A Google search will probably find what you are looking for.
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM

{quote}
mathisjay wrote:
As far as I know, we only plan to support VS 2008, but I will ask about it. In the meantime, I know there are several tools for converting a VS 2008 project file back to VS 2005. A Google search will probably find what you are looking for.
{quote} Since the instructions provided by billyzkid mention 2005 so I tried it and got the error. For people who are new to these types of projects, such as myself, its not always clear if we are making a mistake which can be very frustrating when the instructions are inaccurate.
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:39 AM
Am I to understand that the code here only works in an IIS based webserver? My webserver is apache based. How would I get it to work in that case?
Developer
Feb 6, 2008 at 4:43 AM
The code is simply javascript that renders Silverlight XAML. However, since Silverlight is a MS product, the examples and samples are done using MS technologies. Personally, I don't know how to set up an Apache website, but I would suppose the basic process would be pretty similar.