Basic questions

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I just ran into Slide.Show and from the first looks I think it will do what I was looking for. Thanks to all that have contributed. I have a few basic questions:

1) I saw the Quick Guide but I can't find more complete documentation of the "more than 300 customizable features". Is there a doc describing all the features?

2) I have installed the sample albims and they work great. Is there a configuration entry to make a slide show loop back to the beginning when it plays the last slide?

3) Is there a way to make a slide show random, not showing the exact sequence of the album?

4) Is there a way to run a slide show of all picture in all albums in the data.xml file?

Thanks in advance for teh help on this.

Enrique
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Good questions and suggestions!

1) I saw the Quick Guide but I can't find more complete documentation of the "more than 300 customizable features". Is there a doc describing all the features?

Unfortunately, our small team of 2 hasn't had the time yet to write the full implementor/contributor documentation (i.e. the User Guide) which I envision will be 40-50 pages long if done thoroughly. Up until this point, we've prioritized the Quick Start Guide, a few missing core features, and nagging bug fixes ahead of full documentation, but I do think the latest release of Slide.Show is stable enough that we can focus our next efforts here.

To get by for now, I would suggest studying the configurations used for the samples provided with the source code. And for a complete list of options, please see the debug scripts also included with the source code. The code is clean and fairly well commented -- all of the options are organized in the same way (in the constructor for each class).

2) I have installed the sample albims and they work great. Is there a configuration entry to make a slide show loop back to the beginning when it plays the last slide?

Yes! The "Vertigo" sample does this. Look for the "slideShowNavigation.loopAlbum" option for the NavigationTray module.

3) Is there a way to make a slide show random, not showing the exact sequence of the album?

Not yet, although I think it's a good idea. Can you please add it to our Issue Tracker as a proposed new feature? Similarly, we should probably support random transitions as well.

4) Is there a way to run a slide show of all picture in all albums in the data.xml file?

Another good idea! I guess a rather poor/obvious workaround would be to put all your slides in one album. Of course, that won't work if you don't have control over the albums (e.g. if you are using the FlickrDataProvider).
Jan 3, 2008 at 2:39 AM
Thanks. I have submitted 3 suggestions as you request. To be clear, I think the program is great as it is, no complaining on my side. But, one can always wish for one's favorite feaures, no? :-)

Enrique