This project is read-only.

Dynamic generation of data and configuration

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM
I would like to modify for my personnal website modifiy dynamically data.xml and configuration.xml
Have you an idea of the way of doing it
For the moment I will try to generate this file with asp.net
Dec 30, 2007 at 4:43 AM
I'm trying to do the same thing. I would like Slide.Show to read a folder\file structure and create the Album\Image data. My plan is too implement a DataProvider to read one or more folders (defined in Configuration.xml), traverse the structure(s) and generate the necessary data.

Initially, I was planning to create an external C# app to traverse the folder/file structure and generate the data.xml and configuration.xml. I later decided that implementing the code as a provider would make the gallery generation more dynamic.

DAlbum is an online photo gallery software that does this but it does require you to reindex via admin screens.

Tree Navigation Demo
http://www.dalbum.org/sample/index.php?folder=/

More Demos:
http://www.dalbum.org/index.php?go=Demos
Jan 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM
I am quite interesting by your project. I'm not sur I will find time for mine. For the moment I put on codeplex the begining of a project who generate the data.xml from the flickr api. The name of the project is LinkPhotos.

Thanks for the two url
Jan 3, 2008 at 10:56 PM
There are several efforts (at least 5) I'm aware of to help improve the design-time experience of Slide.Show. I'm waiting to see what happens. I'd love to add a Contributions page with links to the tools if they are indeed useful.

Ideally, as Sorcerysoft pointed out, this would be a data provider, but I'm not sure how well Silverlight 1.0 (using just JavaScript) will work for this given that the client would somehow need access to files on the server. @Sorcerysoft, thoughts?

Personally, if it were me, I’d write a simple console app, batch file, or VB script where you could drag and drop a folder of albums/images and it would resize everything into web-friendly images (that still look good full-screen but under 250K) and thumbnails and then generate the Data.xml file for you using metadata stored with the images (e.g. EXIF) all in one tidy folder ready for upload to your Web server. I wouldn’t have any UI and the only options I’d support would be image size/quality for the images and thumbnails. Best case would be a tool that isn’t Windows specific, but that might be hard.
Jan 4, 2008 at 8:57 PM
I am creating a wrapper object for DotNetNuke that allows a novice user (read "Doesn't understand XML") to create albums and upload photos. The module than creates the Configuration.xml and Data.xml on the fly using an .ashx handler. Works pretty good so far. It wouldn't be too difficult to convert it to general use. In order to really make it fly though, I need a list of all the configurable options in both XML files.

ETA on the User's Guide?
Jan 5, 2008 at 6:57 AM
I'm very interesting by your project. I am currently evaluating the use of dotnetnuke for my personnal website.
I haven't find the documentation about the configuration options for slide.show

Good luck for your work
Jan 6, 2008 at 9:09 PM

ticaro wrote:
I haven't find the documentation about the configuration options for slide.show

Unfortunately, we haven't had time to fully document the options yet. It will happen eventually when the User Guide gets written.

For now, we're relying on the source code (which is clean and fairly well commented). The options (and their default values) are located in the constructors of each class and are defined in the same way for each class and named fairly verbosely, so it shouldn't too hard to find what you need if you are moderately familiar with JavaScript. Thanks for everyone's patience!
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:19 AM
I recently stumbled over SlideShow and played around with it over the weekend. I have successfully integrated SlideShow into Microsoft HomeServer, where I am using the Photo Gallery Plugin (actually the whiist plugin - see http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist ). I have simply created a new data provider (just extending the XML data provider and reading from a data.ashx instead from the static data.xml file). The data.ashx handler uses the metadata library coming with the Photo Gallery code and creates the XML data file on the fly. The album data are read from a album.xml file containing the list of albums (title, description, path, transition). Note that all the thumbnails and images are created using the album.ashx handler automatically. This of course does not support nested albums but is a very quick approach to automatic data.xml generation.
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:37 AM

dtv wrote:
I recently stumbled over SlideShow and played around with it over the weekend. I have successfully integrated SlideShow into Microsoft HomeServer, where I am using the Photo Gallery Plugin (actually the whiist plugin - see http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist ).

@dtv, wow, very cool! Is this code that you could perhaps share? I will be getting around to creating a contributions page soon with links and descriptions of new data providers, design-time tools, etc. available for download. We are really starting to compile a nice collection of contributions like this for Slide.Show.
Jan 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Wow - DTV, would you pleaaase share this with the community. I was actually thinking about developing something similar. It would be nice to have this as a real Windows Home Server (WHS) plugin so its installable also for non-techies, unlike us.

Thanks for your input!
Best regards,
Chris
Jan 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM
Currently this is just an additional HTTP handler to dynamically generating the proper xml data file. Sorry, no WHS-Plugin yet. For that I have to look into delayed loading of the slide data because for large set of slides the initial loading takes some time before I'll finalize some nice plugin.

I'm in contact with byllizkid on providing/sharing the current sample files...
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:13 PM

dtv wrote:
Currently this is just an additional HTTP handler to dynamically generating the proper xml data file. Sorry, no WHS-Plugin yet. For that I have to look into delayed loading of the slide data because for large set of slides the initial loading takes some time before I'll finalize some nice plugin.

I'm in contact with byllizkid on providing/sharing the current sample files...

Let us know when it's available because this is totally what I want to accomplish :)
Jan 20, 2008 at 9:29 PM
Hi, I made the sample code available on my home server - http://dtv42.homeserver.com/HomePage and a sample can be found there too - http://dtv42.homeserver.com/SlideShow - have fun.
Jan 23, 2008 at 1:14 PM
Hey,

as I'm looking into how to make this available as a more "polished" (mind the quotes!!!) version of a true WHS Addin - can you let me know how you dealt with security please? Couple of options seem logical:
- copying photo files to separate dedicated directory for the Slide.Show - configure security on this directory to allow the IUSR_... read access
- leaving all photo files wherever they reside on the WHS, but then one of below options should be chosen:
* run the HTTPHandler under Admin credentials (By ALL means I want to avoid this - it potentially opens access to All WHS Files if security gets broken)
* modify access on all photo files in the slideshow to allow the IUSR_... read access - also seem ugly to keep in sync when files get moved etc...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Christof