Does Slide.Show work in Firefox?

Nov 17, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Slide.show doesn't seem to work in firefox. Has anyone else tried?
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2007 at 6:32 AM
Edited Nov 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM
The reason Slide.Show currently doesn't work in Firefox is because of this Mozilla/Firefox bug which is triggered by the following line of code in Slide.Show:

// Add the source element
// Note: Inline XAML is buggy in Firefox with the current version of Silverlight 1.0.
SlideShow.ScriptManager.addInlineScript(sourceElementId, "text/xaml", xaml);
This bug is shared by ALL Silverlight controls using inline XAML (as opposed to downloading a .xaml file from the server), and thus is a very serious bug of which Microsoft is undoubtedly aware. I'm anticipating a workaround/fix in the next update of Silverlight and/or a fix in the next major version of Firefox.

For now, the simplest workaround is to remove the DOCTYPE from the HTML page that hosts your Slide.Show control. For example, remove the DOCTYPE from the Default.html page in the Typical sample, refresh the page, and it should work in all browsers. Another workaround would be to change the above code to reference a .xaml file on the server, but this ties the Slide.Show control to that server due to cross-domain restrictions. For this reason, I prefer the former workaround.

I would have implemented the DOCTYPE workaround in all of the samples, but I decided not to mask the issue so that users would be well aware of it (since they often cannot control whether or not their HTML pages have a DOCTYPE specified) and hopefully to inspire a quick fix from the Silverlight and/or Firefox development teams.
Nov 19, 2007 at 5:05 PM
Thank you very much. I will try this.
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2007 at 10:17 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2007 at 8:14 PM
I'm excited to announce that the latest Silverlight 1.0 Service Release fixes the above Firefox issue.

This update will be rolled out to all users running Silverlight v1.0 via the auto-updater built into the plug-in. If you’re impatient and want to get the update sooner, you can get it from the Silverlight installation page

Note: I believe that if you have Silverlight 1.1 Alpha installed, it will appear to the auto-updater that you already have the latest version and you won't be able to install the Silverlight 1.0 Service Release (until you first uninstall). This likely won't be a problem for the general public, but I'm sure a lot of developers have 1.1 Alpha installed, unfortunately.

Tim Sneath from Microsoft also wrote an interesting post about this issue.